Thursday, November 13, 2014

I work in an old man's world

You enter middle school and you are the young kid. You enter high school and you are the young kid. You decide to go to a college or university, yet again young. I have entered into another one of these situations with being a trainer in enterprise software. What have I found? It's the same middle school, high school, and college. It's a major learning curve, everyone knows more than you, and worst of all it's hard to relate to anyone.

"Everyone knows more than you and worst of all it's hard to relate to anyone"

What I have in my short 6 months of training around the country is that I am in an area of teaching an old dog new tricks. The companies that I'm working with are used to working with standard enterprise software-- products that have been around since the inception of Microsoft... and the internet. The product that I teach is a completely new concept and going into these companies one of two things happen. 1) I am discredited because I am young and don't understand legacy technologies or 2) developers realize how different the software is and are overwhelmed by the learning curve ahead of them.

"I am in an area of teaching an old dog new tricks."

Personally I hope for option two. :) But to achieve this in any company that I go to is extremely difficult. I have to overcome my age, my lack of legacy technologies, and lastly, I have to know my product inside and out. Realistically the only one I can control is the third option, knowing my product.

"So I am a professional trainer on Adobe Experience Manager."

So I am a professional trainer on Adobe Experience Manager, a new concept and way of thinking about marketing on the web. A complete new stack to work with for enterprise web development. It's 100% built on java and every level of the stack is built off of an open source project. I aim to teach old dogs new tricks because technology never stops. No matter your background, I am now the expert on the most forward way of thinking about marketing on the web. I work tirelessly to ensure that my clients understand this new stack and understand how to utilize it to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment