Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Don't break rule #1

I have a very strict rule when traveling, it's called "The #1":

Don't go hang out in your room unless you are going to bed.

This rule keeps me sane. This rule allows me as a traveler to more/less "tolerate" my lifestyle. I absolutely love my job and my company, but the traveling part can be difficult at times if you cannot manage it. This rule allows me to manage that.. No matter how nice your hotel is, how many channels you have, free room service, or even high speed internet, DO NOT break rule #1.

Unfortunately, like all humans, I am not infallible and broke this rule my first night in Denver at the Hyatt this week. Let me tell you, depression set in, loneliness was my best friend, and I couldn't get motivated to do anything. Even when I finally made it down to the gym I couldn't get motivated to run more than 1 mile (I usually run 3+ miles).  To say the least the only thing I felt like I could do to take the pain away was go to sleep, but even that evaded me that night.

The lesson? Don't break rule #1

Traveling requires an extreme schedule. Lots of planning, but in the midst of that planning, there needs to be comfort. Relaxation. A sense of home. Most important, a sense of normalcy. Staying in your room can bring on the feeling of being trapped, loneliness, and depression. Don't travel because you have to, travel because you want to. In order to make that change you have to LIVE that "traveling" life. 

Staying in your room can bring on the feeling of being trapped, loneliness, and depression.

You're required to be on the clock for 8 hours when traveling (hopefully). The rest is up to you. If you decide you HAVE to be there and there isn't an escape, you will hate it. BUT if you embrace traveling, come up with a strict routine, enjoy the company of strangers, and "Don't go hang out in your room unless you are going to bed"; traveling will be enjoyable.

You are in a new place, if you have to be there, embrace it.

I came I saw, I travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment